Do you . . .
- Enjoy mentoring kids?
- Have a desire to share your creativity and love of writing?
- Love lab coats and funny goggles, talking like a pirate, and generally being silly?
If so, this could be the internship for you!
As an intern at our innovative writing lab providing in-school and out-of-school programming throughout the city, you will work one-on-one with young authors, guiding them through the writing process and helping them realize their full creative potential. Additional responsibilities include developing and presenting writing workshops or other educational programming, managing the production of classroom chapbooks and animated films, communicating with school administrators and educators, and assisting with volunteer management or community outreach.
We are currently accepting internship applications on a rolling basis. To apply, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The email should include a PDF attachment of your current resume, and a cover letter pasted into the body of the email that highlights specific skills and experience you would bring to Spells, as well as what you hope to gain from the internship.
- Minimum commitment of 10–20 hours per week
- A passion for writing
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently and adapt to new situations
- Experience with kids in a professional setting preferred
- Editing, proofreading, or design skills a plus
- Interest in other forms of artistic expression (photography, film, music, etc.) a plus
- Adoration of our students
- Opportunities to work with local educators, authors, and journalists
- Transportation stipend
- Free Spells Writing Lab t-shirt
- Free admission to Spells Writing Lab events, including our annual fundraiser
- Strong sense of accomplishment and pride from helping kids succeed
We look forward to hearing from you!